It wasn’ t in the too distant past that online sportsbooks offered betting options on only sporting events but in recent years we’ve seen the emergence of a wide range of novelty betting lines that cover everything from entertainment to politics, current events and even religion. As such an entirely new breed of betting enthusiasts has evolved and online betting is more successful than ever.
A visit to popular online bookmakers like William hill reveals the latest trends in novelty bets which include the upcoming Oscars (or the 85th annual Academy Awards to be precise) which take place on Sunday the 24th of February in Hollywood, as well as more controversial topics such as who will be the next Pope.
Below we take a look at the various odds each category within these topics is offering.
Best Picture Winner Odds
With so many outstanding recent movie releases, the Best Picture winner category is quite competitive. Odds are as follows:
- Amour: 100/1
- Argo: 1/6
- Beasts of the Southern Wild: 100/1
- Django Unchained: 66/1
- Les Miserables: 50/1
- Life of Pi: 40/1
- Lincoln: 4/1
- The Silver Linings Playbook: 40/1
- Zero Dark Thirty: 80/1
Best Director Winner Odds
- Ang Lee for Life of Pi: 4/1
- Benh Zeitlin for Beasts of the Southern Wild: 50/1
- David O. Russell for Silver Linings Playbook: 20/1
- Michael Haneke for Amour: 12/1
- Steven Spielberg for Lincoln: 1/5
Best Actress Winner Odds
- Emannuelle Riva in Amour: 4/1
- Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook: 4/7
- Jessica Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty : 11/4
- Naomi Watts in The Impossible: 25/1
- Quvenzhane Wallis in Beasts Of The Southern Wild: 40/1
Best Actor Winner Odds
- Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook: 50/1
- Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln: 1/50
- Denzel Washington in Flight: 40/1
- Hugh Jackman in Les Miserables: 16/1
- Joaquin Phoenix in The Master: 33/1
These are just a few of the categories for the Oscars special bets at William Hill, others include best supporting Actor/Actress, Best Original Song, Best Costume Design, Best Foreign language film and more.
In addition to the Oscars odds, sportsbooks also began offering a betting line on who will succeed Pope Benedict XVI after the 85 year old pontiff abdicated his position last week citing “lack of strength of mind and body“, going down as the first pope to retire in over 600 years.
Next Pope Betting Odds
Who will replace Pope Benedict XVI?
- Angelo Bagnasco (of Italy) : 12/1
- Angelo Scola (of Italy) : 7/2
- Christoph von Schonborn (of Austria) : 12/1
- Francis Arinze (of Nigeria) : 11/2
- Gianfranco Ravasi (of Italy) : 12/1
- Jorge Mario Bergoglio (of Argentina) : 20/1
- Leonardo Sandri (of Argentina) : 8/1
- Marc Ouellet (of Canada) : 7/2
- Odilo Pedro Scherer (of Brazil) : 25/1
- Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson (of Ghana) : 11/4
- Tarcisio Bertone (of Italy) : 7/1
- Timothy Dolan (of the USA) : 33/1
*Many others feature upon request.
In addition to the above you’ll also find everything from betting on your favourite TV Specials to Royal Specials (Betting on William & Kate’s baby), current affairs like the previously published BBC betting odds more. While novelty bets may seem a little tasteless to some, they provide hours of fun and entertainment to others and are definitely here to stay. If these bets are your cup of tea, then check out William Hill now.